A suitable person to receive direct payments on an adult’s behalf is either a ‘representative’ – for example an attorney or deputy, or a ‘nominated person’ The local authority has to consult with others and be sure the suitable person would act in the individual’s best interests, is capable of managing the direct payment and that it is appropriate for them to do so.